I count no less than 13 new chuhai releases over the summer season. We've got new options from Suntory, Kirin, Asahi, and Sapporo. Keeping track of all these is getting a bit overwhelming, especially during the summer as demand for RTDs goes through the roof. So I'm just going to combine all of them into one!
- Ice Gin (Lemon & Lime) and Ice Vodka (Grapefruit) RTDs, each 7% and 350ml. Released on July 18, so already available. These are limited editions.
- Ashita no Lemon Sour and Ashita no Ume Sour, both at 5% and 350ml. The lemon sour is a salty lemon, so if you've ever had a Nikolaschka, you know what you're in for. Coming out on September 5. These will be available year-round.
- Mogitate Shequasar. Like the rest of the Mogitate ("fresh picked") lineup, these use Citrus depressa that are juiced within 24 hours of picking. 9% and available at 350ml and 500ml sizes. Notably, this isn't a summer-only release. Available from August 8.
- Asahi Chuhai no Shunkan ("chuhai moment") autumn-only flavors, Yamanashi Pione and Japanese Pear. Both 4% and 350ml, to be released August 22 and available until around the end of October.
Chuhai King Kirin has a lot going on:
- Hon-shibori Natsukan. The Hon-shibori ("seriously squeezed") series has always prided itself on using real fruit juice and this one contains a whopping 24%. Natsukan is a Chinese citron. Summer only, 5% abv, 350ml. Released on July 18.
- Traveling Hyoketsu Peach Amore. This is supposed to be like a Bellini that you drank while in a quiet bar in Venice. At 141 yen I'm not sure that's what will happen but it's coming out on August 22, 350ml and 4% abv.
- Traveling Hyoketsu Haochi Lychee. This one is that blue drink you had while looking out at Hong Kong's nighttime urban lights. 350ml, 4%, released July 18.
- Hyoketsu Kumamoto Mikan. Kumamoto was recently hit by and earthquake so Kirin is donating 1 yen per can sold to the recovery effort. August 1, 5% abv, and available in 350ml or 500ml sizes. This is a limited release.
- Hyoketsu Strong Mix Punch. Always great to see new STRONG flavors, even limited ones. This is a mix of the company's acerola, lychee, and peach flavors. Available August 8 in 350ml and 500ml at 9% abv, only at combinis!
Getting to Sapporo:
- Lemoncello Italian Lemon Sour and Arancello Italian Blood Orange. Both 8% abv, launching September 20 in 350ml or 500ml sizes.
- Kire-t0 Lemon Sour Strong. Supposed to be super sour, with 10% real fruit juice. 9% abv and coming out August 1 in 350ml.
- Momomo Nectar Sour is a mix of both yellow and white peach flavors. 3% abv, 350ml, August 22.
Plenty of great new choices! Let me know how you like them.
I’m Whiskey Richard, and I am the founder of nomunication.jp. I’ve lived in Tokyo for over a decade, and I am a certified Shochu Kikisake-shi/Shochu Sommelier (焼酎唎酒師), Cocktail Professor (カクテル検定１級), and I hold Whisky Kentei Level 3 (ウイスキー検定３級). Click here for more details about me and this site. Kampai!