Although Dec 25-29 is a regular workweek here in Japan, things are definitely winding down for the year. Barring any major announcements I expect this Chuhai Watch to be my last post of 2017. It's been an amazing year for the Japanese alcohol industry and I'm looking forward to 2018 already!
- Kirin has announced two new additions to their Honshibori series: the seasonal Honshibori Chuhai Shikikan (Calamondin) and already permanent Honshibori Chuhai Pink Grapefruit now available in a 500ml size. The Shikikan is a hybrid between a citrus and a kumquat, and in Okinawan cooking it sometimes stands in for the shequasar. They are 6% and 5% abv respectively, with both expected on January 30th.
- Speaking of Kirin they've also announced that 2017 has been the best year ever for their canned chuhais. After launching the first Hyoketsu in 2001, they hit a peak of 36.8 million cases in 2006. Sales suddenly dropped the following year but they've been recovering over the past 7 years -- and in 2017 sales have already surpassed that 2006 peak. Particularly Kirin's Tabisuru Hyoketsu series has been doing very well since its introduction this year.
- Suntory will be releasing both the -196°C Sakura Cherry and -196°C Spring Strawberry flavors on February 13. These are both obviously popular flavors to get everyone in the mood for Hanami in the Spring. Both at 4% abv.
- Also from Suntory is the -196°C Strong Zero Kiwi coming again on February 27. It's 9% abv. This must have done well when it was released back in June, since it hasn't even been a year!
- Horoyoi Orange Tea Sour drops on February 20 from Suntory. This one combines the sweet and sour taste of an orange with the floral notes of black tea at 3% abv. It's also a season-limited edition.
- Finally from Asahi is the Mogitate Blue Apricot flavor, another season-limited one available only from January 16 to the end of March. It contains 1.1% real fruit juice and will be at 9% abv in 350ml or 500ml sizes.
Hi there! I created and run nomunication.jp. I’ve lived in Tokyo since 2008, and I am a certified Shochu Kikisake-shi/Shochu Sommelier (焼酎唎酒師), Cocktail Professor (カクテル検定１級), and I hold Whisky Kentei Levels 3 and JW (ウイスキー検定３級・JW級). I also sit on the Executive Committees for the Tokyo Whisky & Spirits Competition and Japanese Whisky Day. Click here for more details about me and this site. Kampai!