Nikkei brings word that Yamagata prefecture’s first and only Japanese whisky distillery, the Yuza Distillery, celebrated completion of the facility this past Friday.
Actual distillation of whisky is slated to begin in November, so congratulations to the team for their quick turnaround.
Some other technicals can be gleamed from Nikkei’s reporting:
- Stills are Forsyths, and engineers trained the team from October 3 to 16, with installation of the stills beginning in July
- 105,000L yearly output, or 525L daily
- Maturation will also begin this year, with a minimum 3 years, so first products will be in 2021
- The whisky business will be supported using revenues from their shochu business
- They went “way over” their 500mio JPY budget to build the distillery
Great to see another new entrant getting things rolling! Will they give into the pressure to get product out the door and release new pot though? We’ll have to wai
Hi there! I created and run nomunication.jp. I’ve lived in Tokyo since 2008, and I am a certified Shochu Kikisake-shi/Shochu Sommelier (焼酎唎酒師), Cocktail Professor (カクテル検定１級), and I hold Whisky Kentei Levels 3 and JW (ウイスキー検定３級・JW級). I also sit on the Executive Committees for the Tokyo Whisky & Spirits Competition and Japanese Whisky Day. Click here for more details about me and this site. Kampai!