- Whisky Festival 10 Year Anniversary Special Seminar with Mamoru Tsuchiya Head of the Japan Whisky Research Centre (and organizers of the Whisky Festival itself). This will feature tastings of 1995 Arran 9y, 1997 Bunnahabhain 11y, 1988 Single Malt Irish Whiskey 27y, 1976 Longmorn 34y, and GlenGrant 50y. 6000 yen entry, advance tickets only.
- Akkeshi Distillery Year 1 Challenges and Future Plans with Distillery Manager Katsuyuki Tatsuzaki. Akkeshi–founded just last year–isn’t actually selling any product yet, so this is a great opportunity to taste how things are coming along up there. Tatsuzaki-san is bringing along two new makes (non-peated and peated), NEW BORN (bourbon cask, prototype), and other spirits from Akkeshi. 3500 yen adv, 4000 yen door
- Back After a Century, AD Rattray Comes to Japan with AD Rattray Managing Director Nick White. Tastings haven’t been announced yet but since bottler AD Rattray is known for their Cask Collection, expect something great. 3500 yen adv, 4000 yen door
- Suntory Whisky Succession and Innovation with Suntory Spirits Chief Blender Shinji Fukuyo. Tastings will be of Yamazaki, Hakushu, and Chita single malts, as well as “something special.” 3500 yen adv, 4000 yen door
- Lakes Distillery First Time in Japan with Founder Paul Currie. This is a new distillery in England’s Lakes District and they began making malt whisky in December 2014. Now that the company is setup with an importer, Mr Currie is here to let you taste The One, Lakes Gin, Lakes Gin Explorer, and Lakes Vodka. 3500 yen adv, 4000 yen door
- ISC2017 Trophy! Coffey Series with Nikka’s Chief Blender, Tadashi Sakuma. As you know Nikka got a ISC 2017 Trophy for their Coffey Malt, so Sakuma-san will be discussing Nikka’s Coffey series. Tastings TBD. 3500 yen adv, 4000 yen door
- Taiwanese Whisky, Kavalan 11 Years On with the company’s Chief Blender Ian Chang. Kavalan’s whiskies are turning a lot of heads and scooping up awards, so try them if you haven’t yet. Tastings are Kavalan Classic, Kavalan Solist Ex-Bourbon Cask Single Cask Strength, Kavalan Solist Oloroso Sherry Cask Strength, and Kavalan Solist Vinho Barrique Cask Strength (which won World’s Best Single Malt at the 2015 World Whisky Awards). 3500 yen adv, 4000 yen door
Advance tickets for the seminars can be purchased at the Whisky Research Centre’s online shop starting at 12PM JST on September 27.
Hi there! I created and run nomunication.jp. I’ve lived in Tokyo since 2008, and I am a certified Shochu Kikisake-shi/Shochu Sommelier (焼酎唎酒師), Cocktail Professor (カクテル検定１級), and I hold Whisky Kentei Levels 3 and JW (ウイスキー検定３級・JW級). I also sit on the Executive Committees for the Tokyo Whisky & Spirits Competition and Japanese Whisky Day. Click here for more details about me and this site. Kampai!