Rumors are swirling of two upcoming single malts from Nikka: Nikka Yoichi Moscatel Wood Finish and Nikka Miyagikyo Moscatel Wood Finish.
Considering that both of are purported to drop on September 26, expect an official announcement from Nikka shortly. In the meantime, lineocean.com reports on what at first glance is a leak from Nikka (...a leaky distillery?)
Moscatel is of course the Portuguese fortified wine made from muscat grapes. These whiskies spend their final year in the Moscatel casks, impairing fruitiness like orange and apricot.
Nikka Yoichi Moscatel Wood Finish tasting notes:
- Nose: Sweetness of raisins, sweet aroma of malt. Smokey peat and woodiness
- Palate: Sweet full body of honey. Quiet fruitiness of tropical fruit
- Finish: Long finish with cask bitterness and peat
Nikka Miyagikyo Moscatel Wood Finish tasting notes:
- Nose: Fresh muscat and sweet malt aroma. Cask woodiness
- Palate: Harmony of fruitiness and cask aroma. Sweet body of raisins
- Finish: Sweet finish of dried fruit and cask bitterness. Lingering full body
Both are priced at 15000 yen each, and bottled at 46% abv. However quantities are extremely limited. Only 1500 bottles of each will be available, with only 500 making it to retail (others are likely to end up in bars via wholesale routes). So if you see a bottle, make your decision quickly!
Update 4-Sept: Amazon Japan is now listing (but not actually taking pre-orders for) the Yoichi Moscatel Wood Finish. Additionally, the Nikka Blender's Bar (the bar in the basement of Nikka's headquarters) mentions that they'll have limited quantities of both the Yoichi and the Miyagikyo on September 26.
I’m Whiskey Richard, and I am the founder of nomunication.jp. I’ve lived in Tokyo for over a decade, and I am a certified Shochu Kikisake-shi/Shochu Sommelier (焼酎唎酒師), Cocktail Professor (カクテル検定１級), and I hold Whisky Kentei Level 3 (ウイスキー検定３級). Click here for more details about me and this site. Kampai!